Spring is in full bloom and teachers are preparing final lesson plans for the year, which can mean only one thing–summer break is almost upon us!
That also means it’s time for Camp Kindergarten.
Camp K is a free pre-K readiness program open to ALL Hamilton County rising kindergarteners. Across 15 schools throughout the greater Chattanooga area, 400 new kindergarten students will have the opportunity to learn and become classroom-ready during the summer months.
Many rising kindergartners throughout Hamilton County have not had the opportunity to receive preschool instruction. Camp K teaches students foundational English and literacy skills and also provides exposure to a structured, classroom environment enabling them to be socially and emotionally prepared for the school year.
Chattanooga 2.0, Early Matters Chattanooga member organizations, along with local education institutions and community partners, have joined together to make this program possible by providing all parents of Camp K students weekly engagement sessions at the school (including a meal!).
During the 2018 pilot program, we saw tremendous success— out of 211 students enrolled, 87 students improved their score by 10 or more total points while 53 students were able to improve their score by 20 or more total points. Additionally, 50% of Camp K students scored “on target” on their kindergarten screener over the district average of 39%. This is incredible!
Do you want to give your child a jumpstart to success in the classroom?
Here is how to sign your child up for Camp K and useful information:
- Parents must pick up an application at their child’s prospective school or the Hamilton County Schools Central Office (3074 Hickory Valley Rd, Chattanooga, 37421). There is not an online application. See the list of local elementary schools hosting Camp K below.
- Applications are due by April 30th.
- Letters will be sent during the first week of May to inform parents of their child’s acceptance status.
- The program will start June 3, 2019 and end on June, 27, 2019, with sessions taking place Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- If there is a waiting list, preference will be given to students who have never had a pre-K experience. However, we encourage all parents of rising Kindergarteners to apply since some selected students may not be able to attend Camp K.
Learning begins at birth. Help give your child a jumpstart on Kindergarten and a path to a successful future. Fill out your child’s application for Camp K today!
List of Hamilton County Schools participating in Camp Kindergarten:
Bess T. Shepherd